Check out Magellan 7
- 547 Occupational Video Clips accessible via the Internet
- Updated OOH (Occupational Outlook Handbook) Data
- The latest DOL Wage and Employment Data
- Updated Internet Hot Links
- Assessments and Surveys – all self-directed
- Data Skills
- Holland Codes (pictorial)
- Interests, Forced Choice (pictorial)
- Interests, Ranked (pictorial)
- People Skills
- Physical Skills
- Temperaments (pictorial)
- Time Commitment
- Occupational Database
- 1,300 entries – includes the latest O*NET
- Task-oriented job descriptions
- Cross-referenced to:
- All Assessment and Survey results
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook (included)
- Magellan Video Clips (over 500 via the Internet)
- Magellan 4-Year Class Schedules (over 65 included)
- Legacy Products from other vendors:
- Vocational Biographies through Series G
- Delphi Career Videos
- Enter Here Videos
- Full audio for all surveys, job descriptions, and OOH information
- Modifiable 4-Year Class Schedules so you can match your school’s academic plans.
- Internet HotLinks – add your own content to Magellan
- Design custom activity plans by teacher and class
- Customize your own reports
- Ready-made curriculum booklets for getting the most out of Magellan
- Magellan Video Clips on a USB thumb drive
- Who Uses Magellan
- High school and Middle school students
- Special Education programs for creating Transition Plans and IEPs that are meaningful to students and parents
- Drop-out Prevention Programs
What's the secret to increasing student motivation?
When your students know what they want to do to earn a living
when they discover for themselves viable job options, and make the connection
between school and later life - their motivation
and interest in learning will rise dramatically. Magellan helps them make that connection and turns potential drop-outs into graduates.
The essential ingredient in Magellan that separates it from the
pack is "career assessment".
Assessment has been Valpar's business for over 4 decades and we've
brought this expertise to career exploration.
Magellan uses 9 assessments and performance-based surveys to measure 12 interest
areas and 27 criterion-referenced factors based on the U.S. Department of Labor's
"Revised Handbook for Analyzing Jobs." Magellan's academic skills
assessment is based on Valpar's field-proven assessment software.
Magellan's surveys delve into physical skill factors, temperaments, interaction with
people and data, and time commitment. Two interest surveys, and a Holland Code survey round out the suite.
The results of each assessment are used to explore Magellan's
database of over 1250 occupations, each described in terms of the 27 factors.
Explorers can see occupations related to their own skills, abilities, and desires. Just
as importantly, they can see how lack of a particular skill can affect career choices.
The explorer's goal is to find 5 Top Picks in the database. The
survey tools provide a powerful method of exploring the database and
the data sources
give the explorer the necessary information to make their picks.
Magellan's data sources include:
- Job Descriptions in task-list form
- Interest Information from the U.S. DOL's "Guide for Occupational
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Wage and employment information for each state
- Over 500 Online video clips
- Curriculum information
- Internet HotLinks
- Your school's class schedules